Thursday, October 23, 2008

Haang Cute ng Mamang Ito


Bambi calls it The Henney Virus. Lol.


I am actually at my star bucks now blogging in an attempt to stop myself from heading home and spending the next 7 hours watching Seducing Mr. Perfect over and over

The past week, my every waking hour has been consumed by watching soap operas and movies starring this Korean American actor who looks like he won the genetic lottery. . Jinah, my Korean friend says that he is very famous in South East Asia.

It’s good therapy, my friends tell me, like chocolate or potato chips. Even better, since I’m not hurting anyone (except myself from lack of sleep), I’m not spending anything (except time) and I’m not gaining weight from nomming mindlessly. (I doubt that)

This man. I stare at him on Ignatius’ wallpaper all fricking day. He is also the wallpaper on my cellphone.

My brothers say this is reminiscent of the time I went crazy over a certain Irish boyband who shall remain nameless. I’ve even infected friends. Can’t stop myself. I am subconsciously learning Korean too, this way. And not just the curses.

Interesting though, I came across an article about him that mentioned how Western cinema has always treated Asian males as:

1. Brainy geeks (Harold from Harold and Kumar, for example)
2. Kung Fu Fighters (Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat)
3. Faithful assistants (The Chinese driver in the Green Hornet)
4. Circus Freaks- Siamese twins, etc.
5. Tattooed Gangsters/ Terrorists/ Communists

In fact, for a while there was Hollywood propaganda portraying Asians as evil. Raise The Red Lantern had Richard Gere being the persecuted savior in a communist country. M. Butterfly, Miss Saigon and others come to mind. James Bond was also guilty of this.

Historically, Caucasian men have played asian roles too, like Wang Lung in The Good Earth (remember sophomore year?) and The King in The King and I.

Let’s take this discussion up a notch and talk about Hollywood portrayals of Asian women.

1. Kung Fu Ladies or Hot exotic superspies (Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Q, Bai Ling)
2. Maids/Helpers (if you’re Filipina)
3. Bitchy mothers
4. Prostitutes- Nearly every orgy scene ever filmed has had an Asian woman writhing and sweating. On the flipside, there’s also been a lot of other races there.

So. Now that Mr. Henney is taking on a major action role in X-men Origins: Wolverine, it should be interesting to see how it plays out. Will it be another Legolas? Remember when LOTR came out, and for lack of charismatic characters in the movie, everyone fell for the golden, pretty prince of Mirkwood, thus launching Orlando Bloom’s career. Because, from the people so far cast into the movie, he is the hottest. LOL.

On the other hand, it could be Dominic Monaghan. Anyone looks hot next to him. :D Will this herald more substantial roles for asian actors in mainstream Hollywood, both male and female?

Asian cinema in itself is a vibrant, multi-headed creature hampered only by the language barrier. I spoke yesterday to an Indonesian friend who grew up watching the Filipino Soap operas, and to my everlasting shame, can name every leading actor from Mula Sa Puso. She carries around a picture of Rico Yan in her diary, a gift from her yaya 10 years ago.

I can count on one hand the people I know who have never seen a Japanese cartoon, tv show, soap opera, or movie.

You gotta love globalization. I am right now in an American coffee shop drinking Italian coffee, using a laptop whose components were designed in Japan, manufactured in Korea, and programmed in Canada, sitting on a chair made from wood from a tree that grew in China, watching a British/Korean/American actor. The world is getting smaller, for sure. I can’t wait to explore it.

In the meantime, I have to figure out a different way to distract myself, as this is getting almost out of hand.

No comments: